Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices for K4XS

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices for K4XS
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 23:28:14 -0500
Hi Joe,
Great points, thanks.

I guess it's too easy to tar Hy-Gain with the MFJ brush, because I do
remember the original Hy-Gain beams as being relatively well built. Curious
to know if anyone has bought a Hy-Gain since the takeover. If they haven't
cheaped out, they should still be OK.

And, at least, they don't try to sell you their antennas by cooking up some
mumbo-jumbo about an innovative feed system that doesn't require a choke.

I've got a couple of Cushcrafts (MA5B and MA8040v), and while both work OK
(on both, if I can hear 'em I can work 'em.. Most times), the build quality
is crap. I probably have to take the MA5B down and install a DX Engineering
boom-mast setup because the el cheapo CC unit self-destructed.

Hopefully my tower goes up at the lake this summer and a small interlaced
monobander (F12, JK, etc.) goes up.

73, kelly
ve4xt