Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Heights

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Heights
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:36:51 -0500
"Best height" also depends on what you're trying to do.

The best height for working DX might suck if you're trying to play in SS.
The best height for SS from VE4 might be marginal from Connecticut.

>From VE4, the only contests we can really be competitive in are domestic.
Some of our best SS scores have come from stations with three-element
tribanders at 40 feet. I was fifth overall in SS Phone once using a TA33 at
35'.

One station has a KT36 at, I think, 70 and a short-forty 10-15 above that.
And kills in SS. In WW, not so much, at least relative to W3LPL and the
like.

The other point to make is the plural of anecdote isn't data. My anecdotes
are intended to encourage analysis of individual situations, complete with
terrain analysis and an understanding of the goals in play (DX, SS
dominance, etc.). Don't take other anecdotes as indications of what you
should do. Your correlation of the anecdote to your situation may be faulty.

N6BT did an excellent presentation on terrain analysis at a convention in
Rochester, MN, a few years back. And while he didn't seem to be able to
fathom the reality that not everyone can put up multiple stacks, I believe
his charts showed that between the best heights for a bottom antenna and a
top antenna there's a compromise to strive for if you can only put up one
antenna. That's the value of analysis, in my view.

73, kelly
ve4xt