Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Near Field Lightning Damage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Near Field Lightning Damage
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:01:39 -0600
In Montana I had a Cushcraft XM240 at about 65 feet. I did not ground the reflector and when storms started to brew you could hear and sometimes see the static arcing at the mast to element bracket. You could also hear it on the radio using the SteppIR mounted below it. The closer the storms got the faster the clicking or arcing got.

Whenever I heard that noise I knew it was time to look around and get off the radio.

Mike W0MU