Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Lightning Protection

To: w9ac@arrl.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Lightning Protection
From: TexasRF--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 11:09:53 -0400
Hi Paul, as a victim of a free running az motor I can appreciate your
concern.

Shorted MOVs are not the only source of trouble. I use big 30A power relays
 to control rotation direction and on more than one occasion have seen the
contacts stuck closed. Why I don't know but probably needed some kind of
snubbing device across the contacts.

On another occasion, a rodent chewed the control cable and allowed just the
 right pair of wires to make contact.

I use computer software to read a digital encoder to determine the rotator
direction. On another occasion the software and/or encoder read failed and
the  automatic aiming part of the software ran the motor continuously. It
was  homebrew software so can only complain to myself about the lack of
safeguards.

The bottom line is I can't see an alternative to an actual mechanical limit
 switch that will kill the voltage to the motor. In the case of a prop
pitch  there are separate power leads for CW and CCW rotation. Separate
switches
for  the two leads would let one reverse rotation to recover from a fault
after  making repairs.

My rotators use 1/3HP 120vac motors and four leads to run. This will
require a double pole limit switch to also protect the motor; one for the run
winding and another for the start winding.

Naturally after saying all of this, I have not yet installed limit
switches but it is a high priority on the project list.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 5/15/2015 9:39:11 A.M. Central Daylight Time,