[TowerTalk] Tower height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower height
From: "Mel Ming " <teammel@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 15:21:58 -0700
I realize this will seem like a dumb questions, but I am trying to make the
best choices, so I will ask.

I am retiring and moving to a new QTH near Spokane, WA. I have purchased 5
acres. I have a SteppIR DB18 antenna which I used at my previous location
and very much like. I have purchased 90' of Rohn 45 tower (previously had
40' of Rohn 25) to use for installing my antenna.

My assumption has generally been, the higher the better, but I have wondered
if there a good way to verify how high (up to 90') would be the best for DX?

Things I think factor in:

*       I am on the top of a plateau and have unobstructed views in all
directions

*       My soil is very rocky and slightly uneven (elevation changes about
20' over property) with tower at the highest point

*       It will be a guyed tower

*       The tower will be about 250' from power lines

What would be a good way for me to decide which would be best: 70'?  80'? or
use the full tower 90'?  (I will not go above 90')

Thanks

Mel

N7GCO