Re: [TowerTalk] AN tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AN tower
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 13:29:10 -0400
Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    I've installed dozens of towers at amateur and  commercial sites over
the years and I have found the AN towers to be battleship  stout (which in
many cases is not necessary for a ham installation) but  expensive to buy and
install.

    One of my major complaints is that the base design  is WAY overbuilt
compared to all the other towers I've installed. The last one  specified
approximately 3 times the amount of concrete than for similar towers  from
other
manufacturers. To me it's a pure waste of time and money for the  unneeded
additional concrete.

    Also the rebar cage is overly complicated in its  design. I've built
many rebar cages but I had to hire a concrete contractor to  be able to build
it per their spec. Even the concrete contractor was scratching  his head
over the design.

    To me, this is another instance of an engineer  working in an air
conditioned office who designs it but never has to be out in  the field to
install one. (They're not the only manufacturer to do this.)

    For a similar tower height and capacity, anyone  installing a Trylon
Titan tower would save up to $3000+ by buying it rather than  the AN. Just
offering a money saving option.

    Yes, I sell Trylon towers but that's because I've  found them to be the
best value in a self-supporting tower around and lots of  people are
interested in that.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188