Re: [TowerTalk] AN tower

To: "Roger \(K8RI\) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "TT TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AN tower
From: "Gary - AB9M" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 11:33:20 -0500
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL0EjOmuPwY for info from a local wind farm

73 & DX,

Gary - AB9M
-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2015 11:08 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com

We have a lot of wind generators in the area (County) where my farm is
located.  Of course those are the monster, commercial generators with
the entire farm generating many megawatts. (Look up Gratiot county wind
farm)
It covers a large area and another two wind farms to the S and SW have
been added. Studies have shown the wind speed is ideal most of the time
with power that is price competitive with conventionally generated power.
Those are mounted on a single pole that is massive.

A windmill tower on steroids, which this appears to have been, does not
scale well from the 8 to 10 or 12' windmills of old to the large 3 blade
props large enough to generate useful power in average winds.  Most are
variable pitch so they keep the RPM to a level limiting that gyroscopic
action, or even shut them down in high winds. A "windmilling" prop has
far more wind resistance than one that has stopped.  An airplane will
glide much farther with a stopped prop than one that is windmilling.  I
wonder what the wind resistance, or equivalent area of one of those big
props would be.

I've seen quite a few home systems that appeared to be on 45G or even
25G, guyed towers.   It "appeared" to take quite a breeze to get the
smaller blades turning. They "appeared" to be turning the equivalent of
2 or 3 car alternators.  What they were really turning?  I don't know.

They told over at the farm that some of the prop tips can reach as high
as 400 feet

I wonder if this generator had a variable speed prop with speed control.
A prop large enough to give useful power in average winds must be quite
massive with the associated gyroscopic action.

73

Roger (K8RI)