Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew tower...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew tower...
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:27:04 -0400
Water pipe has no specified mechanical properties so I would be concerned
about the strength of the structure.

I have been to a number of islands in the Caribbean and corrosion of towers
and antennas is a big problem. Galvanized towers require regular painting to
protect them from the effects of the salt spray. Cuba is significantly
larger than any place I have visited so perhaps in the center of the island
corrosion may not be bad, but certainly near the sea it will be.  Painting
the tower after welding with either a zinc enriched paint or epoxy will
protect the base metal.  You may have to paint it every year or more often
if you are near the salt water.

John KK9A