Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Homebrew tower...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Homebrew tower...
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 12:56:09 -0700
Doug, water pipe is ungraded steel and with usually poor seam welds, so risky to use as a structural member. From the responses and IMO you would be better off getting the scrap value for the pipe and building a tower from 90 degree angles (square base) or easiest would be a tubular tower with a derrick to hoist it.

Tube can be square and provides the restraint against the rotator torque and usually comes in 20' lengths, sometimes longer. Square tube is A36 steel. Something like 3.5" square x 1/8 wall bottom with a 3" square 1/8" wall top would get you to 38' and probably needs a guy on the bottom section, but that is my backyard engineering. A tribander and VHF antenna would be the limit. A mast of the size above will weight about 300# so a derrick is the best way to raise/lower it. Check out the various catalogs for similar masts.

A BS in ME should be able to do the necessary calcs so why don't you visit a nearby University and check with the ME department or give a starving undergraduate Senior a few bucks. It's only a couple hours worth of work or so for a mast design.

Grant KZ1W

From the