Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew tower

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew tower
From: J Chaloupka via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:22:00 +0000 (UTC)
What would I do as a non engineer?Materials, if you can get it, ungalvanized
pipe, comonly called "black pipe", it is a better quality than galvanized,
which is typically full of defects and camoflaged by the galvanizing.Make a
three leg tower, with legs made up with three lengths of pipe (your spacing )
and lattice braced to the strength you desire) couple the individual leg
elements with threaded couplings to your desired height, stagering the
couplings to each vertically (no joints opposite each other).  Taper each leg
having the three elements meet at the tower top, thus making stronger legs than
possible with a single pipe.  Situate the triangular legs to your desired
dimension at the base.  This will be a three legged tower with a triangular
plan view. Taper the tower up to the size apex plate you desire.Lattice brace
the three legs to each other on up the tower.Paint the tower heavy, with a
brush, for corrosion protection.I would paint every year for three consecutive
years and then stand back and see when it might need it next.There is a paint
called rust bullet, although expensive, possibly you can get some,
JIM, W4QBQ