Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-2800 Rotor + Polyphaser Rotator Protector Issue

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-2800 Rotor + Polyphaser Rotator Protector Issue
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 16:22:01 +0000 (UTC)
Tony,

What is the clamping voltage on that specific Polyphaser unit?

What is/are the operating voltages on the G-2800 rotor?

If the operating voltages are higher than the clamping point
on the Polyphaser unit, that MIGHT be part of the problem?

Hope this helps!

73 de Billy, AA4NU
To: towertalk@contesting.com

I installed a Polyphaser rotator control line protector on my Yaesu G-2800
rotator and found that the rotor would not work. The rotor controller spun
erratically when I changed heading and the rotor itself would not spin.

I disconnected the line protector and the problem went away. The protector
is the shunt type 8-wire unit shown here:
http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ppr-is-rct

The Yaesu rotor uses 6 wires which I connected as per the instructions
leaving 2 terminals free. The protector was grounded and mounted to a
copper plate inside an entrance panel.

The rotator seems to be working fine, but I wonder if I caused any damage?

Any ideas?

Tony