[TowerTalk] Remote Tuner with ZS66BKW or OCF Dipole

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Remote Tuner with ZS66BKW or OCF Dipole
From: Phil Coley <dxingman@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 03:07:13 +0000 (UTC)
I have read a lot on these antennas from post on the web on their "pros &
cons". There isa lot of info on the web regarding loss with certain types of
coax, types of ladder lines, varyinglengths for better band coverage (OCF),
etc.I know that many G5RV/ZS6BKW versions say that at least 70' of coax must be
used for the antenna to workproperly. And the SWR on some of the bands with
both the G5RV/ZS6BKW & OCF have an SWR that is toohigh and losses would make
the band "non-useable" due to this.Has anyone experimented with using a remote
Tuner (LDG, MFJ, etc.) near the antenna to reduce losses inthe coax to the
rig?  What would be the results in say, using a remote tuner on a ZS6BKW after
the ladder lineconversion to a SO239 for coax? The need of an balun/CMC choke
would probably be helpful & maybe a shortrun of coax before connecting to the
tuner? If a low SWR is obtained at the remote tuner, my thinking is the loss on
the coax run to the shack would be verylow. This would be helpful especially on
a long coax run. Am I "out in left field" on my thinking? Is this a
workablesituation or are there factors I am not seeing?Phil K4MPE