Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Tuner with ZS66BKW or OCF Dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Tuner with ZS66BKW or OCF Dipole
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 08:31:24 -0500

On 7/27/2015 12:41 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
... Yes, it is possible to make a dipole like this "work" on all bands, but as N6BT has shown by working all continents on a light bulb, almost anything "works." The questions are "how well does it work," and "are there other simple antennas that work better." The answer to the first is "not very well," and to the second, a well designed vertical on a roof or one or more multiband resonant fan dipoles will outperform it. The vertical may be equally noisy, but the fan dipoles will be much quieter because they can be effectively choked.

73, Jim K9YC

I have experimented with various OCF dipoles, and a couple fans and none have consistently outperformed a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower multi band vertical. My current Carolina Windom OCF dipole is about 90 ft on one leg and 180 ft on the other and uses two baluns, one at the top and one at the bottom of the vertical coax feeder (part of the radiating system.) The vertical is mounted atop a metal barn and has no radials. This vertical has no traps as it uses stubs to get the bands.

I don't do many A-B comparisons between the OCF dipole and the vertical anymore, having seen the results so many times before. Rarely does the dipole win a shootout by much margin. results are close but the vertical usually does a little better. One solid exception is contacting a friend 120 air miles away. Sorry, senior moment (CRS), I don't recall the band but the OCF worked him well and the vertical was useless. We chalked it up to takeoff angle. This result is repeatable.

Patrick   NJ5G