Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Tower grounding connections and foundation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Tower grounding connections and foundation
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 09:17:11 -0700
On 8/8/15 7:31 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Re TIA-222-G:

I would like to be enlightened why  #00 wire is needed to attach to two
ground rods which are likely several ohms resistance to the "remote
earth"?  Especially when #6 was ok in the last rev of the standard and
when from an I^2*R and fusing current it would do the job.

I think the use of  #00 is usually for mechanical reasons, not electrical.

Further, it is a bit of a mystery why Ufer grounding is not included
when it is the NEC & military standard for structures containing
munitions, explosives, etc.  This forum has opined extensively about why
Ufer's beat ground rods.

Sometimes it's interesting to see the minutes from the standards committee meetings.

That sometimes gives some background for the changes.

Is there any science and engineering behind the new rev G requirements
and documented failures of towers installed to the old standard?

Or is this "standards polishing" by parties with a beneficial interest?
I've been there, seen it happen.