Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a vertical...???

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a vertical...???
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:36:13 -0400
Dual braid, poly rope works well and I think you will find the 3/16ths will be sufficient at two levels on the 54' mast. Either should work.

I use a Lexan disk, or ring cut with two hole saws. (Do the larger diameter first <:-) Then I drilled 3 holes at 120 deg large enough for the rope. Contour and smooth the edges of the holes so they will not abrade the rope. The second row of photos gives a rather distant view http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm when it was installed at the end of the shop. I really don't have any good photos of the ring.

I've used plain old Nylon for a phased array on 40. The initial stretch in the first 24 hours is substantial. Some would say substantial is an understatement. After a couple of days out in the elements and the stretch is gone, but the Nylon rope no longer has that smooth, silky feel. All I can say is "it worked", but the dual braid Poly was not available back then.

Currently I use 3/16ths to guy an AV-640 at roughly 3/4 its height. The AV-640 is mounted on a 24' Aluminum pole. "They" tell me the AV-640 can be put up without guys, but it's really flexible. It will soon be replaced with an AV-680 "I hope". The 680 is in the garage, ready to be assembled.

I use 5/16ths up the 100' 45G through pulleys to raise the slopers on 75 and 40.

73

Roger  (K8RI)