Re: [TowerTalk] Steady Hand On The Stick Wow!!!!!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steady Hand On The Stick Wow!!!!!
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 17:15:14 -0400
>  I cannot imagine being up on that partially built tower depending on  a
helicopter to hold it steady while they bolted the sections together!   One
little shift in the wind.....

    Well, it's not quite that bad. The guys on  the tower are the ones with
control over the load which is in equilibrium. All  you have to do is push
or pull the load up or down or sideways and that's what  it does. It's
pretty easy - assuming of course that the helo isn't gyrating a  lot.

    A potential problem is that the slung load  will build up a static
charge due to the large amount of air blowing by it.  If you don't dissipate
the
charge, you'll get a real jolt. A local guy grabbed  the load without
discharging it and it knocked him out. Maybe it was his head  hitting the tower
but the end result was the same.

    Fifteen or 20 years ago a small one rented for $450  an hour. I'll
guarantee it's lots more now.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH