Re: [TowerTalk] Interaction with the Optibeam 16-3

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Interaction with the Optibeam 16-3
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 07:55:33 -0600
There is a big design difference between a linear loaded M2 and a High-Q
coil loaded OptiBeam with detuning stubs, however I think neither antenna
is resonant on 15m.  I do not see any issued with the proposed layout.  I
am sure that DF2BO would be very responsive if you asked OptiBeam this
question.

John KK9A

The M2 40M4LLDD is close to resonant on 15 meters. I have one, and the SWR is about 1.6 across the entire 15 meter band. I have even used it as a 2nd radio antenna on 15 meters.

I would be very cautious about putting it in close proximity to an Optibeam 16-3 or any other 15 meter antenna.

73,
Steve, N2IC