Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft XM-240 problem

To: Russ Dearmore <champsruss@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft XM-240 problem
From: Michael Murphy <mike@ki8r.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 11:55:12 -0400
Let me echo Russ's comment about the MFJ analyzers.  My experience with it
was mixed at best.  It would show erroneous readings on known good antennas
(and no, I don't live near a broadcast tower).  I sold mine and bought the
Rig Expert AA-54.  Never looked back.

Mike - KI8R

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Russ Dearmore via TowerTalk <
towertalk@contesting.com> wrote:

> Steve,  I was having similar problems in which logic was no help and it
> turned out that my MFJ antenna analyzer was bad.  Since then my bread and
> butter analyzer is the iPortable iP60z.  I now have 2 analyzers and it has
> saved me a lot of time for sure.
>
> Also once when I was really stumped it turned out that I had fried my coax
> switching relay.  After that I use single coax runs exclusively.  Both
> problems produced weird resonance dips.  These problems shouldn't have been
> that hard to figure out but I made it a real circus by trusting bad
> equipment.  Hopefully you have been able to verify your test equipment and
> they are good.  Sorry if my reply is too simplistic....  Russ
> K5ZZR   My Heroes Wear Combat Boots!

*Michael Murphy - KI8R*

mike@ki8r.com

www.ki8r.com