Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RFI Broadcast Station Mixing in Crank-Up towe

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RFI Broadcast Station Mixing in Crank-Up tower?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:54:33 -0700
I've been warned about passive intermod, since I had a ranch with several buildings with very poor condition galvanized roofs and a 50kw BCB station at 150'ASL line of sight 4 miles away from my antenna at 1500' ASL. Of course a BCB filter was a must as were good line filters. But I never heard PIM.

My first suggestion is to install a good BCB filter to be sure the intermod isn't in the radio.

Grounding the coax top and bottom also, good practice for lightning protection. Also a ground conductor around the "thrust" bearing if it is metal on metal, i.e. ground the mast to the tower top.

Since the intermod changes with the wind, perhaps this is real PIM from the tower connections. Depending on the crank up design perhaps a brass wiper could be placed in the top of each section where there is overlap. Hard brass would have enough spring to stay in contact and perhaps a couple of SS hose clamps could hold it in place without interfering with up/down tower motion. I'd do all three legs for redundancy. I doubt any hard stop contact would work given that temperature cycling moves the sections up and down a bit.

Let us know what you learn. AFAIK, my two crank ups are quiet in a multi-multi contest with stations on both towers. I have no nearby BCB transmitter now to worry about.

Grant KZ1W