Re: [TowerTalk] what is 'circular tie' as is used in a towers concrete b

To: tower <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what is 'circular tie' as is used in a towers concrete base?
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:54:29 +0000
 >SURELY its not #4 rebar BENT in a circle!?

I believe that's exactly what it means. For a concrete pier you usually see
rebar arranged in a circle when viewed along the axis and tied together with
circular sections of rebar that form the circumference. That circular rebar has
overlapping ends and the tips are often bent at a 90 degree angle to form a
hook that anchors the tie to the "vertical" rebar.

The only reason I know this is because I work next to and drive by a company
that makes structural rebar cages for projects like Boston's "big dig" and much
of what they assemble outside are for piers and that's how they do it.

Al
AB2ZY