Re: [TowerTalk] VNA Antenna Analyzer

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VNA Antenna Analyzer
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:42:08 -0700
Anyone considering a VNA owes it to themselves to look at the VNWA 3e, designed by a German EE prof and built by some hams in the UK. It is, in several ways, superior to the Array Solutions products and at half the cost. I paid $769 three years ago, including calibration kit, inexpensive case, and shipping to my home in W6. It's also well supported by a Yahoo group that is monitored both by DG8SAQ, the designer and software/firmware author and the UK hams who build it.

http://sdr-kits.net/VNWA3_Description.html

The cables and cal kit are SMA; I mostly use the VNWA with UHF connectors to measure systems and antennas at HF. I've accumulated a variety of connector adapters from ham flea markets, and made my own UHF short and open that are plenty good enough for HF measurements. The key is to make the distance between short and open as nearly equal as possible. Distance to the 50 ohm load doesn't matter much.

When buying adapters, by all means try to avoid the shiny un-branded stuff sold for a few bucks each. I try to buy either Amphenol branded parts or those stamped with mil-spec numbers.

Obviously, greater precision of calibration is needed if you're measuring at UHF. The VNWA goes to 500 MHz full spec, reduced spec to 1.3 GHz.

73, Jim K9YC