Re: [TowerTalk] Buryflex Conector Help

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buryflex Conector Help
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 03:15:28 -0500
It's been quite a while since I installed any connectors, but it was after I lost the use of my left hand. Instead of holding the cable in my left hand, I use one of the small vises that use a flexible rubber like connector to attach it to the workbench. I attach the connector with a light touch and gentle twisting motion. If any of the strands contacts outside the hole in the connector, it will fold back, even if there is sufficient room in the connector, so the ability to detect that light touch is quite important. I have tinned the tip of a few cables, but never found it necessary to wrap the center before doing so. Again, it was after a light pull and twisting between the thumb and first two fingers. I only tinned a few, but never found it necessary. I do not remember the number of the connectors, but they were silver plated with a Teflon insulator. I believe I purchased them from Davis as well.

OTOH I have purchased cables and connectors from a number of suppliers.

Although I like LMR 400 and 600, I have pretty much gone to BuryFlex instead of LMR-400. I still use LMR-600. Both the 400 and 600 have very tight non repeatable bend radius without the center conductor migration. Linear migration is still a problem on longer vertical runs.

73

Roger (K8RI)