Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted vee

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted vee
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 16:06:29 +0000
> Hello,

> I have an inverted vee up about 100 feet. It resonates at 3615. From past
> experience, how much should I add to each leg to get it down to 3515?

> Thanks,

> Carol

Hams are WAY too obsessed with SWR.  If it's a full size half wave, the
difference between an antenna resonant at 3615 and 3515 wouldn't make a bit of
difference in performance.
VSWR at 2:1 or less is perfectly OK.  Even 3:1 will have negligible effect on
the signal if it doesn't trigger a fold-back feature in the radio.

I use open wire tuned feeders on mine, and get equally excellent results all
the way from 3500-4000, but I use a remotely tuned matching network at the base
of the tower. If I wanted to use coax, I would purchase some hard-line (ever
cable TV stuff works fine), cut the antenna to be resonant at 3750, and just
use it and not worry about it.

Don k4kyv