Re: [TowerTalk] Need balun advice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need balun advice
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:33:54 -0800
On Wed,11/11/2015 5:48 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:

On 11/11/2015 8:11 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
Repeat after me --

SWR is NOT an indicator of antenna performance.

But it determines whether or not my very sensitive Alpha 87A will trip off or a solid state amp will fold back.

Right. And the match of the antenna to the coax determines loss in the line. But the matches that the original poster described were not sufficient to generate much additional loss.

And several things that K6XX taught me -- First, the output devices (tube or transistor) in ANY power amp must work into a matched load to achieve minimum distortion. Tube amps can accomplish that match with careful tuning, but solid state amps that lack an adjustable matching network require an antenna tuner to achieve that match. In teaching me this, Bob was not entirely altruistic -- we're close-in neighbors, so he has a vested interest in my amp being clean. :)

Second, it's important to know whether your amplifier is "auto tune" or "auto-recall" of previous settings on the same band. BIG difference. I've never owned an Alpha, but I think that some models are auto-recall. That means if you're using a different antenna, you've got to re-tune the amp. My guess is that in addition to minimizing distortion, it will also prevent the amp from tripping off or folding back.

73, Jim K9YC