Re: [TowerTalk] copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:36:03 -0800
Agree that RF design is the key AND low resistance is good. Of course there are exceptions, but perhaps not common among ham installations. I climbed several mountains in ME, noting the lightning "ground" on the top of one with a mostly bare granite summit. There were no ground rods I could find, but there were a lot of cables in a mesh configuration over a half acre or so of granite. I doubt there was a DC ground resistance anywhere near to ten ohms. The mesh was the best they could do for lightning strike dissipation. Probably would have a great corona show in a strike, but who would want to be there to see it?

Google earth shows a new tower on that summit, Boundary Bald Mt, ME. It would be interesting to know the grounding system design. What is there had to arrive by helicopter. One group climb I did on that summit had some folks arrive by JetRanger so I know there is a flat enough spot to very carefully land a 206.

Grant KZ1W