Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: copper or galvanized ground rods i

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 12:48:18 -0800
On 1/10/16 11:40 AM, David Robbins wrote:
At lightning current densities and time scales the earth ionizes and rapidly
increases its conductivity.  See equations by Weck and others:
http://www.ipstconf.org/papers/Proc_IPST2011/11IPST109.pdf

Note in the graphs how the effective resistance of the ground decreases as
the current increases.

Very interesting..
(and, of course, there's about a 3:1 difference among the various models, which I'd sort of expect)

That paper and the references it cites will give me a fair amount of reading.

However, I don't see any sort of "saturation" behavior: in fact, it's more of a negative resistance (i.e. resistance goes down as current goes up).

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373