Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 00:59:17 -0500
I was just wondering and no, I have no plans on changing my system: Yes, I am serious. The topic of UFER, ground rods and safety ground "systems". Would those of us with good soil benefit from boring a 6, 8, or 10" hole, filling it with concrete and sinking the ground rod in it? The contact area is small, but huge compared to the rod accompanied by a low inductance. It seems, at least in theory that the ground system could be reduced in size (number of rods) while possibly increasing the effectiveness of the system. A mini UFER ground system network. At first, it sounds like a lot of effort and cost, but out in the country, most of the equipment (Tractor mounted) is relatively common while those in the city could put down a much more effective ground system. Compared to the price of copper, particularly large copper , concrete is relatively cheap. From a practical approach, it'd be beyond many of us for a number of reasons. Availability and cost of equipment. In addition, damage to the yard although temporary could be vetoed by a spouse

Barring math errors:

Instead of many ground rods, how about concrete encased rods, in each direction if possible? The number of rods and the area is limited, so I would think this would greatly increase the effectiveness of said, limited ground system at a moderate increase in cost. An 8" diameter hole 8' deep would have a surface area of
16.75 sq ft

Surface area = Pi * d * h  Volume =  Pi * 2d * h or Pi * r^2 * h

Circumference = Pi*d 3.14159 X 8 = 25.132 X 8' X 12" = 2414.7412 sq in / 144 sq in (in a sq ft) = 16.755 sq ft of area A 5/8th in dia Ground rod is 5/8 0.624 * Pi = 1.962 * 8 * 12 / 144 = 1.3 sq ft. An 8" hole filled with concrete would offer 12.8 times the area while a 10" hole (20.0 sq ft offers) offers over 16 times the area. 10", 8' deep is roughly 4.4 cubic feet or 0.16 (1/6th) of a cubic yard

73

Roger (K8RI)