Re: [TowerTalk] field-day mast anchoring question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] field-day mast anchoring question
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 09:58:04 -0600
Hi Mike,

Kind of getting off the original topic but years ago, on a trip to FP, the beach there consisted of smooth rocks approximately 2" in diameter. What we did was to dig a hole about a 12-18 inches deep. Then we lined the hole with one of those blue heavy duty plastic tarps. We then filled the hole back in with the rocks. We gathered up the edges of the tarp by passing rope through the eyelets on the corners and connected this to the rope guys.

We used a home-brew version of the Battle Creek Special for 160-40M and a 30 ft high mast made from HD military mast sections to hold a Cushcraft A-3 at about 30 ft. The anchors never moved at all, even with 60 mph winds.

When we were done we just pulled the tarp out from under the rocks.

Cheap, lightweight, and very secure.  Perfect for air travel.