Re: [TowerTalk] field-day mast anchoring question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] field-day mast anchoring question
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 10:21:10 -0800
On 1/23/16 9:41 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
I my town they are doing some road construction around the main
intersection.  They have some temporary telephone poles in place and use
large concrete blocks with a loop on the top to guy the telephone
poles.  I'd estimate the block to be about 3 X 3 feet X 4 feet long.

Those are probably the same sort of 5000+ lb chunks we have at JPL. It's probably a quasi standard thing. They're probably the right size to stack on a flat bed truck trailer, etc.

And inexpensive to make.

You just need a crane or forklift to move 'em around. A flatbed truck with a small crane would be the perfect thing to deliver and pick up.

The loop is ~3/4"-1" steel cable.

The telephone poles are used to hold up traffic signals that span the
intersection so there is quite a bit of weight up there and also a lot
of wind load.