Re: [TowerTalk] field-day mast anchoring question

To: Larry Banks <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] field-day mast anchoring question
From: David Gallatin via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 20:25:54 +0000 (UTC)
It would appear he is in Vermont and maybe intends the same thing, just with a
yagi.  I'm going to say this is not a good idea. You're going to have about
50-55 lbs at the top of a 50 foot long moment arm, giving 1200-1300 lbs
effective moment and only a few hundred at the bottom. Not good enough. If you
truly feel the ground is too soft to use guys then you might try looking up the
term "drive on antenna base" and hamgeneering together something like
that.  73, David, AA9G ex W5DCG and KC9EEV