Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals and well pipe grounding

To: dw <bw_dw@fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals and well pipe grounding
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:56:22 -0600
It seems as though their suggestion on using water pipe ignores that even in a
frost-free zone such as Hawaii you would want those pipes buried enough to
avoid incidental damage, which I’m guessing is also enough to be beyond the
skin effect of the earth surrounding them. In an area with a known frost line,
those pipes are probably buried even deeper.

Now, a network of pipes buried like they’re suggesting might be a good safety
ground, since if they’re metal, they’d have lots of contact with earth spread
over a large area.

If they’re suggesting well pipe, that would be about as effective as a single
ground rod. In other words, not very.

It also seems to fall into the trap “well, if it worked here, it must work
there.” Happening upon a workable antenna does not mean it’s a repeatable
design.

73, kelly, ve4xt,