Re: [TowerTalk] My first tower section is not plumb...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My first tower section is not plumb...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:02:47 -0800
Doug,

I agree with all of the advice quoted below. My two towers both have the bottom section in the concrete pour, and were plumbed simply using a standard bubble level, with the bottom section temporarily guyed during the pour. Once built, guys were tensioned using a Loos gauge, and are periodically (every few years) using that Loos gauge. During the initial build, tensions were adjusted so that there was no visible wiggle. The tallest of my towers is 120 ft of Rohn 25, with guys at 30, 60, 90, and 120 ft. The shorter one is 45 ft of "Rohn 35" (really a private-labeled wider-gauge tower that's between 25 and 45 in spacing and construction, specified by Motorola for 2-way installations). The shorter tower is unguyed, and sits on a LOT of concrete.

73, Jim K9YC