Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question

To: Vincent Weal <vincek4jc@gmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 16:40:23 +0000
I'm sure it will make a difference. The question is will it be perceptible?!

With ground radials, it's a situation of diminishing returns (# and length). A
rule of thumb is that the radials should be at least as long as the antenna is
high, though I have no idea if this "rule" is based on real physics or what.

Like the magic 120 radials for AM broadcasting....it's not that 120 represents
some kind of gold standard but is, I believe, simply a regulatory threshold
that allows an applicant to skip a lot of engineering and field observations in
a license application.  60 radials may work just as well given local soil
conditions and terrain, but use 120 and you don't have to prove it.

Al
AB2ZY