Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 11:56:14 -0600
Hi Jim,

Further to your tutorial, particularly the reference to inductance at a current
peak, I note with interest a reference I remember from the manual for my old
HF6V (the OP’s antenna is the HF2V, IIRC): in it, Butternut claimed the lumped
inductance at the base of the antenna was not “base loading”.

But if a lumped inductance at the base of an antenna isn’t base loading, what
is it?

Walks like a duck…?

My HF6V worked as expected for a vertical on 40 and up. On 80, I’d have had as
much luck setting a dummy load in its place. I always got the impression the
problem on 80 was the inductance was compressing the current peak to between
the feedpoint and the coil and any radiation was primarily into the fence, shed
and trees, rather than into the ether.

I also wonder if the OP’s story about getting perfect SWR but creating a
cloud-warmer speaks somewhat to your assertion about sacrificing performance at
the altar of SWR… (Or, in your words, SWR is not an indicator of performance.)

73, kelly, ve4xt