Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Radial question

To: "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Radial question
From: "John Santillo N2HMM" <n2hmm@warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 15:14:25 -0500 (EST)
I agree, the QSO rate is slower than most contests and can be frustrating
without the right antenna(s).  The noise level can do you in too.

My main antenna is an Inverted L with the vertical portion up about 55
feet.  The radial system is what makes this antenna work.
The soil conductivity is extremely poor at my QTH.  So I laid down 32 1/4
wavelength radials (about 4000 feet of copper) right on top of the ground
in a 360 degree pattern (more or less).  I own a network analyzer so I
monitored the impedance as I was laying down the radials.  The impedance
was very high (high ground losses) with no radials but as I added radials
I could see the impedance fall thru 75 ohms, then 50 ohms to 40 ohms with
16 radials.  Adding another 16 radials got my impedance down to 35 ohms.
This antenna alone got me 400 QSO's in about eight hours of operating
including the west coast, Europe and South America.  To me, this wasn't
bad for a start.

73,

John
N2HMM