Re: [TowerTalk] Foundation and ReBar Work

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Foundation and ReBar Work
From: Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 17:56:17 +0000 (UTC)
In 2012, I installed a new-to-me US Tower TX-472. I had a contractor dig the
hole using a combination of manual labor + backhoe. The backhoe operator didn't
hear/understand the word "STOP!", and the hole became extra wide & deep. As it
turned out, extra deep was good because it allowed me to backfill with 1-1/2"
round rock (that worked against the high water table). I sank a sump pump into
the rock and kept the hole pumped out. I'm into that work for $1000.

Rebar cost me $200 from a ham friend who is an "artiste" with the stuff. Some
sticks of wood allowed us to lower it into the hole.

Concrete cost me $1500 for 5000 psi mix. That included rental of a horizontal
line pump. That was coordinated through a carpenter/contractor/ham friend.
"Rebarman" brought and used his vibrator.

There were many other costs involved but, IMO, none were suspiciously high. All
things considered, I saved a lot of dough.
vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
Photos + text: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-tower