Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets
From: "ve4xt@mymts.net" <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 04:57:03 -0600
Hi Roger,

I'd suggest all the failures you cite aren't actually related to the issue of
joint conductivity.

Solder deteriorates when exposed to weather. We know that, so why F12 didn't
account for it, I can't say.

Rough handling damages joints. Still not related to the hand-wringing over
whether a joint between two parts of an element is capacitive or resistive or
some combination both. My point was simply history suggests, absent damage or
poorly chosen fastening methods (such as plain solder or clamping unslitted
tubes with hose clamps), whatever electrical characteristics may exist at a
joint of two parts of a tubular element are of little consequence. At least at
the time of assembly.

A poorly placed rivet that allows for slop to develop is also unrelated to the
question of whether noalox serves to introduce a fatal amount of reactance.

The right choice of fastener is important for the longevity of the connection,
no question. But at the time of assembly, all of the current fastening methods
(rivets, hose clamps, compression rings, screws, etc.) should all render
differences in joint conductivity to below our ability to discern on the air.

I guess if one really wanted to be picky, the ultimate solution would be to
invent a device that could extrude tubing on site with a built-in taper. No
joints!

You could build your yagis the same way eavestroughers manufacture seamless
gutters on site. With enough adjustability to the extruder, you could even
manufacture one-piece booms.

73, kelly, ve4xt

ps: the on-site extruder was a joke. Please, no comments on whether the
metallurgy is sound!

Sent from my iPad