[TowerTalk] Fwd: Protecting Aluminum Antennas

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Protecting Aluminum Antennas
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 13:25:00 -0400
On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 11:53 AM, David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
wrote:

> I'm not advocating anodizing antenna elements, only disputing that it
> makes any difference electrically,

​Of course it makes a difference electrically; otherwise, why would you
have to remove it? Properly done, it's more than just a few microns in
depth, it's a mil or more, depending on the current used in the process and
the length of the process. So by the time you remove it, you've done
significant dimensional damage to the element​. That's assuming you anodize
only the outside of the tubing, and it costs a lot to protect one surface
of the product from the acid. So now you've got twice the amount of
material removed in the joint.

And anodizing doesn't impart any color to the aluminum; it's clear to
perhaps very, very light beige on some alloys. The die is added afterwards
for cosmetic effect.

Now, alodine (a chromate conversion) has been used on tv antennas back in
the day; it's conductive.

Anybody not capable of abrading the anodizing at the joints shouldn't be
> putting up antennas anyway.

​Really? Really?

73,

geo - n4ua