Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40m Moxon

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40m Moxon
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 09:11:17 -0700
I think there are two factors, one is the tower loading and the other is the rotator loading.

Each antenna, plus the mast itself, contributes a bending moment on the mast from the wind load. The mast calculators translate these moments into a single number used to determine the total bending load and thus the material stress to see if the mast will bend at the point it exits the tower support. That same number can be used to see if the tower will withstand the load.

The rotator loading is much more complex since it involves the system dynamics - the rotational inertia of the mast and antenna assembly, perhaps a bending moment applied to the mast/rotator connection, the dead weight load, and the dynamics of the antennas + mast + tower.

One thing I've observed is even in a hard blow, wind is not very "steady", my towers are in a turbulent wind field which causes all sorts of motions by each antenna and coupling of these oscillations thru the tower to other antennas. I would guess there are few ham towers so isolated to not be in a turbulent wind field. Each element half is a mass + spring, as is the boom an assembly of those mass + springs and the mast a further assembly. Then the tower has a torsional rigidity and inertia, a yet bigger mass + spring. So it is a very complex dynamic system.

There may be some uniform wind load unbalance from the projected boom and element areas x distance that if in a uniform wind field would cause a net torque in one direction on the rotator. It seems to me to be unlikely that that this static force is large enough to overload most rotators for most yagis properly positioned.

What seems likely IMO is the dynamics of heavy wind loading cause the slipping of mast clamps, boom to mast clamps, broken brakes, stripped gears, etc. No stock rotator I know of has zero backlash, even my prop pitch moves angularly a bit in turbulent wind. "Bouncing" against the brake or against the gear backlash is probably the most significant force a rotator has to withstand (assuming that the start/stop is sensibly ramped up/down to manage the kinetic energy - as in larger Yaesu, GH controllers, Orion). Any "slop" in the boom/mast or mast/rotator or rotator/tower mount connection means more energy can accumulate in the angular oscillation before something in the rotator tries to stop it. Worn rotator mounting holes are a sure sign.

Yaesu makes a crude stab at specifying the rotational inertia limit, some others have no comment.

For "tube sleeve top" towers, very little bending moment should be passed thru to the rotator. For stock tower "thrust bearings" (one of the most misused terms in ham radio) the bearings I've used/seen will rotate in the horizontal plane enough to pass thru some moment. As to dead load, the rotator specs I've read put those values way above any likely mast loadings. In fact the advice is to insure sufficient dead load to keep the rotator bearings fully engaged to resist any applied moment.

To hazard a CW based guess of failure distributions: mast slip > boom slip > rotator failure > mast failure > tower failure. The first three probably driven by the system dynamics, that latter two by the static loading.

and then "more towers are killed by falling trees than trees by towers".

So computing wind load areas to more significant digits, may not be worth it, IMO.

The 4'x4' plate is interesting dynamically. I've seen roadside signs oscillate almost +/- 90 degrees in a 40 mph wind. If the 4x4 plate did that the rotator would be likely destroyed in short order. And slender structures in the wind can have vortex shedding induced oscillations. Recall Galloping Gertie.

Grant KZ1W