Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>, Eric Rosenberg <ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 21:39:43 -0700

On 4/28/2016 7:52 PM, Stan Stockton wrote:
I have not read all the replies so this may have already been mentioned.  Read
this article.  I would make it heavier duty but you may be OK with diameters
shown.  Anyway, something like this would be very easy and very inexpensive to
build.

http://www.k6if.com/40dip/40dip.html

73... Stan, K5GO

This article mentions that the EZNEC modeling
doesn't agree with test results due to EZNEC
not discriminating between vertical and horizontal
polarization.  First of all, I'm not sure why
this matters in terms of the antenna getting out.
Secondly, EZNEC can display H and V polarization
separately using different colors, a feature
evidently unknown to the author.  This can be
activated using the "DESC OPTIONS" menu (2nd
from the bottom on the main window).  I will
also note that the height of the inverted vee
is 10% less than the height of the dipole, FWIW.
This seems to be a slightly unfair comparison.
We also don't know what the apex angle of the
inverted vee is.  This affects the effective
height of the vee.  Depending on your circumstances,
you may be able to get an inverted vee apex up
to a greater height than a dipole.  In that case,
the inverted vee might be as good as the dipole,
at least in the favored direction.  These tests
are at a fairly low height where the ends of
the vee might be near the ground.  That is another
factor.

Rick N6RK