[TowerTalk] Ledge Lightning Ground Advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ledge Lightning Ground Advice
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 09:14:49 -0700
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ledge Lightning Ground Advice

As ground rod diameter makes little difference, I'd think a
"interconnected network" of bare #2 copper wire would be much more
effective than ground rods laid horizontal. IIRC the NEC recommends
larger, but most of us have budgetary limitations. With bed rock only 2
or 3 feet down, the area covered by the grounding network becomes
important.  I have over 600 feet of bare #2 and 32 or 33 ground rods
Cadwelded to the copper in my network. I hasten to add that Copper was
purchased BEFORE the price of copper went up.

Here the soil is much better for creating effective ground systems.
If the soil AND rock are dry (I believe Oregon receives plentiful rain)
the area covered by the grounding system can be "doped" and kept moist.
The larger the area the better as is the amount of heavy wire..
Normally a radial ground is run out from each tower leg up to 75 feet
with ground rods spaced twice their length.. It's reported that little
or nothing is gained going longer than 75 feet.

73

Roger (K8RI)

##  what else that just might work in his case is wide copper strap, provided
it was
thick enough to be robust. Like perhaps  1-2 inch wide cu strap, and .029 to
.049 thick.

##  But a myriad of 2 gauge  cu  would probably be easier to work with, easy
to cadweld,
and easy to add C crimps, where you want to branch off in other directions.

Jim  VE7RF