Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 09:39:31 -0700
Is there a better way to determine if a rotator can handle an antenna based
on its size rather than just its wind area? Lots of people here have
recommended the M2 Orion 2800, which on paper is rated for 35 sqft, but
when I asked the tower installer who will be putting the antenna up whether
he thought the Orion could handle the OB17-4, he said that antenna will
tear an Orion up and strip the gears on the output shaft in short order.

The OB17-4 has a 39' boom, 17 elements, of which the longest is 48', and
weighs 220 pounds. I've noticed that some rotators don't list a sqft rating
at all, but give turning and braking torque in Nm. Is there a way to
calculate how many Nm would be required to rotate an antenna and keep it in
place? I do have an RT-21 controller, which has slow ramp-up/ramp-down to
ease the load on the rotator by starting and stopping it slowly.

The various vendors aren't much help with this as they all say their
rotators will handle the load, while at the same time saying their
competitor's product won't.

73, Jerry