Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

To: "Jerry Gardner" <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From: "Stein-Roar Brobakken Rag" LB3RE"" <post@lb3re.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 04:12:45 +0200
Hello

Maybe you think of drive shaft pad/joints ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drive-Shaft-Coupler-fits-2005-2011-Dodge-Charger-Magnum-Challenger-DORM-/231589278784?hash=item35ebcbf440:g:a4kAAOSw9N1VqAfp&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Flexible-drive-shaft-joint-for-VAUXHALL-Opel-Frontera-/231932309467?hash=item36003e2fdb:g:zM8AAOxyBvZTQYN-&vxp=mtr

This can be place above the rotor and have steel plate seperatly..

This ones will absorbe energy/twisting

73s LB3RE Rag

Den ons, mai 4, 2016, 04:05 skrev Jerry Gardner:
> Interesting, Not being a "car guy" I've never heard of flex discs. Do you
> have any more info, perhaps a few links to websites describing them and
> how
> they can be used as part of an antenna/rotator system?
>
> 73,
> Jerry
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net> wrote:
>

>> Someone here on Tower Talk in the past mentioned adapting an automotive
>> drive shaft
>> flex disc in the mast right above the rotor.  Said he had zero rotor
>> issues after installing.
>> As you probably already know the flex disc coupling consists of two
>> mating
>> flanges attached to a shaft with the flex disc sandwiched in between.
>> The
>> flex disc is a synthetic rubber compound.   The automotive flex discs
>> are
>> designed to absorb the torsional shock from hard acceleration and
>> deceleration.   They are well suited to our application and will handle
>> our
>> torque loads easily.  I will be installing my new OR2800 this summer and
>> plan to
>> install an automotive flex disc coupling above the rotor.  Not that
>> difficult to do and I would rather replace the rubber disc periodically
>> when it shows signs of deterioration rather than repair/replace the
>> rotor.
>> Much cheaper
>> too  :-)

Best Regards Stein-Roar "Rag"