Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 07:39:56 -0400
Green Heron also makes a PP remote power unit for those with very long
cable runs.

John KK9A

To:     <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject:        [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From:   "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date:   Tue, 3 May 2016 23:10:36 -0700

##  yes,  my small K7NV  PP  also came with the mating GH controller.
It looks just like a regular RT-21  GH box.  The difference is... the custom
GH box for the PP  only puts out one vdc.   It uses an internal hammond xfmr.
It only uses 5 wires for control. 3 for the dc motor inside the PP, and the
other
2 are for the digital pulsed output of the PP.    K7NV modifys the end of the
shaft of the PP internal motor, with the addition of the rotating magnets...
plus
its all balanced too.  They silkscreened K7NV on the front of the modified
boxes.

##  If  I remember correctly, the regular RT-21  GH box  provides for several
different
AC voltages..and also several DC voltages. IE: the rectifier assy can be
jumpered in or out
depending on whether a DC or AC motor is used.  Between all of that,  the GH
box will
control any rotor.

##The Modified, one off GH box made for the K7NV pps is superb,  with its
point and
shoot capability..with a single calibrated  knob,  and digital readout
down to
.1 deg. Plus the
9 speed  ramp up /down feature makes for transparent use.  Or  pc control the
mess.
Point the knob at say  JA.... and it starts up slow. ramps up to max speed,
then cruises along
to JA... then the ramp down engages..till it comes to a full stop.   No
slamming tq on and off.
Which is good, esp on ramp down, with a heavy array.

Jim  VE7RF