[TowerTalk] antenna moment of inertia

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] antenna moment of inertia
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 06:43:51 -0700
It's not all that hard to calculate the approximate moment of inertia of a Yagi. You know what it's made of (sizes of tubing and dimensions) - it's a bit tedious to do it by hand but I'd be surprised if it takes more than an hour with an Excel spreadsheet. The arithmetic is pretty cookbook, but Yagis are basically symmetrical, so you might not even need any sin and cos calculations.

and if you already have the spreadsheet with the lengths, diameters, and positions, that would save time.

Then, you'd have something "real" to evaluate the torque requirements.

I suspect it's just tradition: back in the 60s or early 70s, where you'd be doing the calculations by hand with a slide rule or sin/cos table, it would be a huge pain in the rear to calculate.

Maybe it's the desire to simplify things to a single number that you can compare (since knowing the moment only gives you half the answer, you also need to know the angular acceleration to get the torque, t = alpha*I)

--------

Moment of a lump mass is
m*r^2

Moment of inertia of a rod around its center is
Icm = m * L^2/12

Moment of inertia of any object around an axis that is displaced (e.g. Yagi elements, the entire structure may have the antenna mast displaced from the CM for some reason)
I = Icm + m*r^2