Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Control Cable

To: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Control Cable
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 15:50:28 -0400

Interesting, I have not used Hy-Gain in a long long time and was not
aware of the brake requirements. All of my rotators use five conductors.
Depending on the rotator it either has two motor and three
potentiomenter wires or three motor and two reed switch wires. I have
long runs and use THHN house wire for the motors and small two or three
wire multi-conductor cables for the indicating system.

John KK9A

On 2016-05-10 14:59, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:

> Tim (& others) --
>
> Be very careful when comparing a single 8-conductor rotator cable with two
> 4-conductor cables. Typically, 8-conductor rotator cable is special in that
> two of the conductors are heavier gauge (larger conductor diameter) for use
> with the Ham-M and TailTwister rotators. This is true of the DXEngineering
> 8-conductor control cable that costs $0.89/foot. I think you'll find that
> it's NOT the motor but, instead, the brake wedge SOLENOID inside the Ham-M
> and TailTwister rotators that draws a lot of current and dictates the use of
> heavier gauge wire for two of the wires. In contrast, the motor leads in
> those rotator models are normally assigned to two of the the remaining six
> wires, which are smaller diameter. I don't know about the newer (MFJ) manuals
> for the TailTwister, but Cornell-Dubileer (aka CDE, the original manufacturer
> of those two rotators) used to include enough information on the maximum
> allowable build-up of resistance in the various leads that you could figure
> out the
  wire
gauges you needed once you knew the total distance of your rotator cable run
from the base of the rotator to the back of the control box.