Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors, weatherproofing

To: Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors, weatherproofing
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 01:34:55 -0400
Hi neighbor,

No, no tape was laid down before utilizing the mastic.

When I first started using Coax-Seal many years ago, I did so without the benefit of tape. All it takes is having to remove that gummy stuff just one time and you instantly know why tape is needed. I decided not to use any tape with the mastic, hedging my bets that it wouldn't be sticky upon removal and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.

The mastic, while slightly parched from 7 years of Florida sun was highly pliable with no cracks coming close to being deep enough to describe as being on the verge of breaking through. Upon lancing it I found that I'd not scored it cleanly through to the connector and ended up parting it by hand, along with releasing the intimate grip that it had on the N-connector. It was stretchy right up until the time that the two halves tore apart.

While my example is an anecdotal one - truthfully, if I were to apply the 2228 again tomorrow, I wouldn't sweat not using tape as a first coating.

What say you?

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC

www.w4abc.com