[TowerTalk] Broken 60ft Versatower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broken 60ft Versatower
From: "Robin Thompson" <robin@g3tkf.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 14:20:38 +0100
Hi all

I had a call for help from a local G4 here in the West country (who is
90years old!) and he has a big problem with a 3 section (P60)  Versatower.

His middle winch rope ( 5mm) has snapped  - The tower is appx half up (or
down!) and resting on the catcher plate (I've always known it as the flapper
brake) . So that is the basic problem . how best to rescue the situation ?
he has a rotator and stub mast with an A3s on the top.

It's a double winch tower and the luffing winch is apparently good.

He wanted to get someone to climb the tower and try to lift the middle and
top section off the catcher plate - that sounded very dangerous to me! Using
wedges in between sections could be a possible solution but wondered what
the collective thoughts of the experienced guys here would be ?

73

Robin

(G3TKF)

RSGB (Bristol Group) Hon.Sec.