Re: [TowerTalk] Loosening Al tubing to Al Tubing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loosening Al tubing to Al Tubing
From: "jcjacobsen@q.com" <jcjacobsen@q.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 20:24:58 -0400 (EDT)
The discussion has been on loosening Al tubing joints, and has progressed to
the use of Noalox or similar.

IF you use an excess amount of anti-seize, you will NEVER get the connection
tight enough so it doesn't slip, especially on the smaller diameter tubing. You
WILL strip out a worm gear type clamp, and the "Hy-Gain" type, well, good luck.
Please, don't ask how I know this........ <GRIN>

I finally remembered something from my tel-co employment days. The Western
Electric installers, when installing high current, copper, buss bars.........
would take a greenie scrub pad, and work some No-Alox into the metal. This did
two things: It cleaned the oxides off the bar, and left a very thin coat of
No-Alox behind. I started doing this on tubing. A small amount on the greenie,
twist it around the connection/inner/smaller tubing and that part is done. You
can sometimes use the greenie around a small dowel or screwdriver shaft and
clean/coat the larger inside tube. OH, one other thing: Make sure you wear
glove (leather palmed maybe) on the hand holding the greenie......... Again,
don't ask how I found this out. If you DON'T wear a glove, have lots of hand
cleaner around..........

Just my $.02

73
K9WN Jake