Re: [TowerTalk] Loosening Al Tubing to Al Tubing

To: 'Towertalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loosening Al Tubing to Al Tubing
From: Tom_N2SR via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:37:08 +0000 (UTC)
A few years ago, I was refurbishing some antennas to eventually sell, I had two
sections of Hy-gain boom that would not come apart.
I decided to put one end in a vise and was prepared to use a torch (one that
you use to sweat copper pipes), grease, PB blaster, and a pipe wrench.   Then I
noticed that the vise had a curved "notch" below the jaws.  The 2" boom fit
perfectly, and held it in place.  With a pipe wrench, I was easily able to
rotate the boom section as I was "pulling" away and it easily came apart.
Not being a machinist, my guess is that if you can get some sort of clamp or
some sort of means to hold the tubing in a complete circle, you could insert
that into a vise, and then use channel-lock pliers to hold the other end and
"twist" the other piece of tubing off.
My 0.02
Tom, N2SR